Abortion was not just legal—it was a safe, condoned, and practiced procedure in colonial America and common enough to appear in the legal and medical records of the period. Official abortion laws did not appear on the books in the United States until 1821, and abortion before quickening did not become illegal until the 1860s. If a woman living in New England in the 17th or 18th centuries wanted an abortion, no legal, social, or religious force would have stopped her.
Reminder that records of contraception and abortion exist all the way back to 1550 BCE in ancient Egypt!
This was a really fascinating read. Until the early 19th century, abortion was legal until “quickening,” or when the pregnant person first felt the baby kick - anywhere from 14 to 26 weeks into the pregnancy. Society only began to condemn it when people decided white, middle- to upperclass women weren’t having enough children soon enough in their lives, and when male doctors started taking over traditionally female health care fields, like midwifery.
Yep, shockingly enough, it’s never, ever been about the life of the fetus - only about misogyny, racism, and classism (ableism, too, though the article doesn’t discuss it).
The bolded is hella important.
From the first article: “Increased female independence was also perceived as a threat to male power and patriarchy, especially as Victorian women increasingly volunteered outside the home for religious and charitable causes.”
everything’s going off in too many different directions, family’s dying, I need a job ASAP, and right now I feel shallow for giving a damn about my birthday and people actually caring to show up on Sunday.
"I have always loved to create art. When I was in fifth grade, my art teacher called me the "Queen of Colors" and that further encouraged me me to continue working on my dream to become an artist. After graduating from a high school specialized on art and textile design, I majored at art in college. My field of specialty is watercolor and oil because I love the fluidity this medium enables me to capture.
I consider interpreting the beauty of the natural and the man-made world my mission in life because I hope to bring joy to people.”
Featured in Bizarre Magazine February issue 2013
Forever in love with this!
- i am angry because this is just another example of women being shamed for taking nudes instead of the douchebag who spreads them being shamed for violating someone’s privacy like that
- i am angry because nobody deserves this, regardless of how i feel about their personality
- i am angry because this is pure misogyny and shows how women aren’t respected in our culture
- i am angry because she did not consent to having those pics posted everywhere but they still were
- i am angry because on the VERY RARE occasion this happens to a male celeb he is not shamed but rather the perpetrator is and it’s forgotten quickly whereas this will haunt jennifer for years and years to come
- i am angry because this was a sex crime and people are treating it like a joke
- i am angry because she is being exploited/objectified and some gross dudebros are probably jacking off to those pics
- i am angry because people are CONGRATULATING the fucker who did such an atrocious thing to her instead of being appalled
listen i may not like her personally but the fact remains that as a human being she is entitled to body autonomy and to choose who sees her naked body and who doesn’t
DIY Ultimate Know Your Eyeliners Guide Infographic from Enerie. For more very popular ultimate guides from Enerie go here:
- Know Your Nail Shapes and What’s Popular on Instagram Infographics.
- Fashion Pattern Vocabulary Part 1 Infographic.
- Fashion Pattern Vocabulary Part 2 Infographic.
- Know Your Sunglasses Infographic.
- Know Your Shoes Part 1 Infographic. Lobster Claws anyone?
- Know Your Shoes Part 2 Infographic.
- Know Your Necklines Infographic from Paper Blog.
- Know Your Hats Infographic.
- Know Your Collars and Cuffs Infographic.
- Know Your Necklines Infographic.
- Know Your Skirts Infographic.
Have you seen our latest blog post? We showing you how you can bring a bit of burlesque sparkle to your lingerie!
”All will be well, Milo Thatch. Be not afraid.”
Series: Atlantis: The Lost Empire
From a Reddit Thread
Pretty much how I’m feeling these days >.>
Upon watching the original Japanese version of Sailor Moon, I was shocked to discover just how nice all of the Senshi were to each other. I was also greatly disturbed becasue this meant that the writers of the English dub weren’t happy with this, and thus added in most of their bickering and insulting of each other. I have never been more disappointed.
submitted by anon
Yup. The English language writers couldn’t have girl friends without snark and cattiness. That says something sad about our culture.
Like, in one ep of the English dub they rewrote “Rei finds the moon stick that Usagi left behind” to “Raye steals it because she thinks she would be a better leader than Serena”.
In an earlier episode, they rewrote “Ami and Rei are nowhere near an attack” to “Amy and Raye go on strike and refuse to help innocent people because they don’t think Sailor Moon is a very good leader”. Like, this isn’t just garden-variety bickering, this is intense levels of pettiness to the point they were willing to put innocent lives in danger like WTF IS WRONG WITH THOSE WRITERS
Oh holy shit. I’ve only ever watched the English version- I thought that it was just written that way.
While Sailor Moon is probably the most extreme example, changes like this are the big reason many anime fans prefer subs (even fansubs) over dubs. They’re also the reason we’re so happy about Viz Media acquiring the rights and releasing a new, accurate dubbing which is true to the original Sailor Moon anime, and why we have so little patience for the handful of people who are whining and screaming about the new dub.
I mean, it’s one thing to like the modified dubs better, and another entirely to go off screaming that Viz should be boycotted and that Naoko Takeuchi is ruining everything forever by releasing a correctly dubbed original instead of a refresh of the modified version. No, I’m not kidding — that’s literally what Nangbaby has been screaming about. Read her post and be amazed by the narcissism, entitlement, racism, and homophobia!
Wow I never knew
I think I rebloged this before but this is really, really important.
I REALISE THIS PART WAS SUPPOSED TO SHOW HARRY’S FEAR FOR VOLDEMORT’S RETURN BUT OMG
HE’S SO STYLISH
HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO BE SCARED OF SOMEONE WITH SUCH AN IMPECCABLE FASHION SENSE
REBLOG IF I SHOULD GET THESE TATTOOED ON MY NIPPLES
1 million notes and i’ll do it
let’s ruin this persons life and reblog
"All Sasha does is to eat food"
"Sasha is dumb"
"Sasha is useless"
"Sasha is only there to make us laugh and takes nothing serious"
"Sasha is a coward"
Didn’t think so, now shut the hell up about it!
;-; I guess I am, aren’t I? *sobs*